Support Forum

• Page:

Displaying a Flickr Collection

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi there,

Just installed jFlickr, I love it! I'm working on a website for the high school robotics team I compete in, and we basically have a Flickr account with images in this layout:

Collection: 2014 Season
-Event 1
-Event 2
-Event 3

Collection: 2013 Season
-Event 1
-Event 2
-Event 3

And so on.

What I would like to do, is instead of displaying the entire photostream of our account, or an individual photoset, show a collection (e.g. the 2014 season), so that the photos from within that season (Events 1,2 and 3) would display. Either with thumbnails for each photoset, or just displaying all the photos, I don't mind. Is this at all possible?

Many thanks,

George
  • George Gillard
  • JB Pro
  • 2 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
George,

jFlickr (like most Flickr photo extensions for Joomla) is not able to do what you are asking. Most just call photos directly from a specific photoset and display all that are within that group. There is a Flickr work-around that you can try... Create a new 'best of' photoset and add all the photos you want to highlight into this new photoset and then call it from jFlickr. I've does this a number of times with success.

There are a 'few' Joomla photo gallery extension(s) that will allow you to 'build your own gallery' from URL paths. With these extension(s) you would be able to 'manually' enter the URL path to a specific Flickr photo and build a gallery this way. This process would take a little time but doable.

There are even 'fewer' Joomla photo gallery extension(s) for Flickr that will display a single thumbnail for each of your Flickr photosets. By clicking onto that photoset thumbnail it will then display all the photos contained within that photoset.

When dealing with outside photo delivery websites like Flickr, a developer is at the mercy of that agency on how 'they' allow you to pull photos from their system. Hope this info helps and by all means, yell back if you have any further question.

Ed
  • Ed
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the quick reply, I completely understand how you guys are limited by Flickr, and that there are some things that just aren't possible. I'll give the idea you gave me a try, another thing I tried was to tag all the photos from one collection with the same tag (I.E. "2014 Season") and then display all the images with that tag using jFlickr. So far, it seems to be working. So I now have a module for the 2014 Season including the photos for that, another module for the 2013 Season, etc.

Thanks again,

~George
  • George Gillard
  • JB Pro
  • 2 posts
George,

My pleasure and thanks for bringing up the Flickr tags. It is an excellent way to pull specific photos from Flickr. Yell back with your success!

Ed
  • Ed
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers